Are you a New Zealand Citizen living and Working in Australia?

The Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement allows Australian and New Zealand citizens to live and work in each other’s country without restrictions.

On arrival in Australia, most New Zealand citizens are granted a Special Category Visa (subclass 444) (SCV). The SCV is a temporary visa that allows the holder to remain and work in Australia indefinitely as long as the holder remains a New Zealand citizen.

Are you a New Zealand Citizen living and working in Australia (on a subclass 444 visa) and want to become an Australian Permanent Resident or gain Australian Citizenship?

Most New Zealand citizens, including all those arriving in Australia after 26 February 2001, are required to apply for and be granted permanent residence in Australia (ie. be granted a permanent visa) if they wish to access certain social security payments, obtain Australian citizenship or sponsor their family members for permanent residence.

The kind of permanent visa that you may apply for will depend entirely on your skills and current situation.

Only Australian permanent residents are eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship.

Are you in a relationship with a New Zealand Citizen that is living and working in Australia and want to come to Australia to live with them?

The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship subclass 461 visa is a five year temporary visa that allows someone who is not a New Zealand or Australian citizen to live in Australia with a family member who is a New Zealand citizen who either holds or is eligible to hold a Special Category subclass 444 visa.

The 461 visa is a great visa for the de facto partners or spouse of a New Zealand citizen to live and work in Australia while they remain in a de facto relationship with their New Zealand partner.


For information on visa that might be right for you, please contact us for a free assessment.